Saturday, March 20, 2010

a little conversation

Today in north central Massachusetts it is breezy and warm. The sun is shining. I was sitting in the backyard. Behind the sounds of the road and my husband working on one of the motorcycles I heard woodpeckers. Woodpeckers on either side of the property. One would taptaptapaptaptpatpatap and then the other would taptaptpatpatpatptptaptap. One was on a decidedly hollow-ish tree, the other not. They were talking to each other. It was quite a lengthy conversation. "How'd you do this winter?" "Not bad, how about you?".....

I drifted off to thinking about the latest whole cloth map piece I have been working on. When I was reminded that really successful pieces are conversations. The elements converse with each other. It goes back and forth. They are congenial. They get along. They wonder how each other's winters were.

When you can hear the conversation you know the piece is working.

No comments: